This Federal Style home stands three-stories and three bays wide at its central block and is constructed of brick laid in a three-course American bond. There are one bay additions projecting from either end of the home, one is brick and the other of wood frame construction. The main block features two interior chimneys and the brick addition features one exterior chimney. The land side of the home is dominated by a two story wooden porch constructed in the colonial revival style in the 1950s. The interior of the home contains a large central hall with flanking rooms. There are original mantels, original historic 6″ heart pine flooring and floor framing, as well as historic wooden trim and interior shutters.
Construction Date: 1830, main house; 1850 addition
Acreage of Site: +/- 0.1 acre owned by City; 2 acres of open space by Homeowners Association
Architect or Builder: George McIntosh
Historical Use: Plantation, Courthouse, Tavern, School
Present Use: Museum and Office Space for Non-Profit Office
Ferry Plantation House is a 1830 brick structure (once covered with oyster shell stucco) with a ten-room central passage plan. It’s an example of a Federal farm house, built by slave labor, and faces the Western Branch of the Lynnhaven River as the last witness to the rich past of the site’s recorded history. The third courthouse, which was also the first brick courthouse in the county, was on this site; the stately Walke mansion, circa 1751, was destroyed by fire in 1828.
The existing Ferry Plantation House was built, in part, of bricks salvaged from the ruins. It is currently being renovated by Friends of the Ferry Plantation House, Inc. in partnership with the City of Virginia Beach. The house is open year round to the public as a museum for tours and educational center.
How did the Plantation get it’s name?
The Ferry Plantation House has had several names over the years, in 1642 it acquired the name Ferry Plantation because of the “Ferry boat service ” running the Lynnhaven River. The river was the most dependable way to travel.Next came the quaint and unusual name Donation Farm it derives from a gift to the parish from Reverend Robert Dickson in 1776. All the land including the Church was given as a donation, with one stipulation that a school for orphan boys be built. This school was never built. Next the name Old Donation did not appear in the records until 1822. The Vestry ordered “the church called Old Donation to be put in repair”. The land around was sold off but still kept to this day the name Old Donation Farm.The name Ferry Farm was added to the list as the last three owners used it. When the Friends of the Ferry Plantation House became established a name had to be registered.
Ferry Farm the last name being used was not available as George Washington’s home is called Ferry Farm. Back to the earliest name we had decided on “Ferry Plantation” and as the house and just a small portion of the property are owned by the City,The name was registered as “Ferry Plantation House ” .It is also registered on the City Landmarks the State and National Register.
Copyright ©2015, The Friends of Ferry Plantation House